20 September 2007

Zucchini Bread, Yay!

Over the last couple of years, we've been changing up what we grow in our garden here. It used to be that we'd grow the staples - potatoes, onions, radishes, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, peas, carrots, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and a couple of rows of sweetcorn.

Then, we decided to have a go with starting our own seeds, along with planting some different vegetables. One of the vegies that we planted were zucchini. Prior to growing our own zucchinis, I hadn't tried it, and thought the idea of zucchini bread was bizarre - I mean, vegetable-based bread? You can't be serious.

However, we planted a couple of them, and they came up. We then got one recipe for bread with chocolate chips - that turned out really good and we've already made two loaves this year of that (the recipe makes 2 loaves). Even after that, we still have loads more shredded zucchini. Since it was up to me to shred it up, I wasn't totally sure on how to shred it, so I did some searching and came across this recipe which was a result of the person having fifteen cups of shredded zucchini.

As you can see, it does call for some interesting ingredients, including lemon or orange zest (which I did skip since we don't have any oranges or lemons around), and an interesting quartet of spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice. I knew that we didn't have allspice, and wasn't totally sure about the ginger, yet the whole thing worked thanks to a miracle product: Pumpkin pie spice!

Yep, pumpkin pie spice has cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice (along with an anti-caking agent). As the recipe calls for a variety of amounts of the individual spices, I decided to go on my own with the measuring and went with 1 teaspoon of pie spice, along with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (since it was 2 tsp. of cinnamon for the recipe). I also skipped the raisins and only put in about a half cup of walnuts.

By far the coolest thing was making oat flour by putting a cup of Quaker Rolled Oats and processing it in the food processor for a couple of minutes.

I could have gotten three slightly-smaller loaves out of the recipe, but I decided to make two larger loaves. Fifty-five minutes later, it was done; so I let it cool for about an hour or so before taking it out of the pans. Before I took a picture, I had sampled a piece of the bread and it was fantastic. ;)

And, of course, here's the bread, minus a smallish sample ;) :

2 comments:

Jhianna said...

Mmmmm.... looks good!

A friend gave me a couple of monster (seriously, I've never seen zucchini the size of these guys - like 14inches long) zucchini this year. So we grated it down using the KitchenAid slice/dice/grate attachment.

Then I used this recipe. It turned out well, but the second time I added some nutmeg.

Sephyroth said...

Heh, I used a standard grater to grate the zucchini; I wish I had seen on that page where it said that you could just leave the skin on - that'd have saved me a few minutes! ;)

We still have a ton of the stuff left, so we're planning on making some muffins and probably some more bread.

Thanks for stopping by! ;)

Related Posts